September 20, 2019 will mark 75 years since the establishment of the Montgomery County Soil Conservation District. THE MONTGOMERY COUNTY SOIL CONSERVATION DISTRICT is one of 95 districts in Tennessee responsible for conservation programs within their counties. The MCSCD was the 23rd District in the State of Tennessee to be chartered on September 20, 1944 by founding board members James G. Childers, Cuyler Dunbar, David Hinton, Banks Batson, and James W. Cross, Jr.
Soil erosion control and water quality improvement are the primary concerns of the District. It is the mission of the District to coordinate assistance and develop locally driven solutions to natural resource problems. The District strives to inform owners/operators on ways to reduce erosion and improve water quality through a comprehensive program of technical, financial, and educational resources and making them available to land users of Montgomery County.
More than 14,000 farm plans have been developed for Montgomery County agricultural use including beginning and veteran farmers over the last 75 years. The MCSCD has been involved in agriculture in the classroom, hosted Future Farmers of America (FFA) and 4-H events, and sponsors an annual scholarship for students majoring in Ag-related fields. Johnny Head, District Board Chairman emphasized, “It is equally important that we teach tomorrow’s generation how to care and work the land both in agriculture but also in conservation for water quality purposes and good soil use.”
Current board members serving today are Johnny Head, Chairman; JD Bumpus, Vice Chair; Paul McKinney, Treasurer; Richard Davis, Member; Cody Greene, Member.