Hosted by the Mont. Co. SCD, sponsored by Security Seed, APSU, Montgomery County, NRCS, Montgomery County Farm Bureau, Montgomery Co UT Extension, and the Farm Bureau Women. Held in September of each year on the APSU FARM (Pickens Rd).
Land judging trains youth in decision-making skills related to soil and water conservation. Team members will learn:
- How to determine the physical characteristics of the soil
- How to interpret this information for decision-making regarding usage and management practices for this soil
- How to predict the limitations of this soil and expected crop yields
- How this soil will affect the quality of ground and surface water
- How this soil will be adapted to a possible home site
Each member works independently and the top four scores are combined to make up the team score. During the contest, at least four pits or sites will be evaluated.